Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Current Fashion Obsession - Embellished Collars

Coming from 13 years of Catholic schooling, I never wanted to see three things ever again. The first are plaid skirts and dresses, simply because they remind me of school. Second are black buckle shoes. My elementary school required them and I always hated the look of flat, slightly platformed maryjanes. Lastly, are button down shirts, especially if that shirt comes in white. But there has been a change in mind as my style develops and grows without the conservative dress code. Although I don't favor plaid bottoms or maryjanes (excluding Jeffrey Campbell Night-walk maryjanes), I have kindled a love for button down, collared shirts. I never realized the variety of the clothing item. From sheer chiffon to thick cotton, button downs are slowly becoming a staple in my wardrobe. 

You may be wondering what this has to do with anything. Well, I tend to find joy in the uniqueness of a clothing item, so when I saw embellished collars for the first time, I knew it would add edge and flair to the otherwise overly preppy clothing item. 

Take a look at these amazing collars,


Simple yet head turning. If I were do do this on one of my own pieces, the shirt would be a solid, slightly sheer color and the glitter a matching color of the shirt. The result would be monochromatic with a hint of excitement.


This looks so elegant, yet so daring. I don't think I could pull this off, at least not yet, but if it is a great way to accessorize a plain black dress, sleeveless top, or corset top with a pair of dark fitted jeans.


These two collars have that eclectic, "i found it in my kitchens drawer and put it on my shirt" type of look that I love. The top collar is obviously more dressy than the bottom, but it goes to show you the versatility this trend can have. I would wear the top collar on a black button down with high-waist pleated trouser pants, and the bottom on a plain shirt with an oversize neutral sweater or sweatshirt and understated leggings or tights.


Comment on your thoughts of embellished collars, and don't forget to subscribe if you like my posts!